Sunday, November 16

Jingle Bell Run Update

Today was the Jingle Bell Run and I had high hopes that were soon squashed.

I got there early enough to get a walk in to warm up, so I could start off the race runing instead of walking. Which was cool - and it worked. For about 1k.


(start of race - I'm at the far left of pic, in purple jacket)

After that first 1k, my left ankle really started hurting and I slowed to a walk. A slow walk. Even that hurt. I thought - "I can't make it up this hill - not at all!" (from JCCC entrance on College to the corner of Quivira for those who know the area). Yanked my headphones from my ears, hoping the sound of the cards whizzing past would stir up my adrenaline a little. I literally had tears falling down my cheeks as I got mad at myself for being this "fragile" and easily broken. I honestly thought it would be better to just stop, sit down and have myself a good cry.

But, I didn't. I kept walking. I adjusted my expectations and decided that to WALK (even really slowly) and finish would be better than to feel sorry for myself and stop.

Eventully a nice woman named Bridget stepped up beside me and struck up a conversation. I matched her pace and she got me through the race. Literally. Without her, I don't think I would have finished. We talked about being atheletes in high school and husbands and kids and God and who knows what else. Anything to keep from focusing on how the race wasn't turning out to be what we expected and to keep us moving. I also reazlied at some point my ankle stopped hurting and I probably could have run again (and run the whole rest of the way!)- but I thought that talking to her was more important than trying to get a lower time.

As we got close to the end, I said "you wanna sprint it out?" (We had both been sprinters in high school - but it sounds like she was much better than I was!) She agreed and off we went. That last 100 meters felt GREAT (and they got pics of it...)!


(me in purple, Bridget in red)

The sprint didn't make a lot of difference to my time (kept me under 51 minutes but that's about it) but it made a world of difference to my attitude. To know that I finished the race and that I could overcome my internal issues was really cool. So - thank you Bridget wherever you might be now. I owe this race to you!

================
Official results
50:46.8
(same as my iPod and watch)

Women 30-34
24th

Overall
269




sprinting to the finish line -->

No comments: