Tuesday, January 29

Teri - My history

Ok, here goes my accountability part. After a whole lifetime of struggle with being overweight, I have started my journey to living healthy in 2008. I made a decision in the latter part of 2007 that I didn’t want to live the next 33 years of my life like I did the first 33 years. Plus, I want to make sure I get the next 33 years!

So my husband and I attended a weight loss surgery seminar at Riverside Methodist Hospital. It was very informative and I knew in my heart that this was the place for me. This was the help I had needed all these years. Not just the surgery, but the support and information they provide long before surgery and long after. Unfortunately, my hubby didn’t feel the same way. He was very interested in it until he heard that he couldn’t eat steak anymore. Then I sadly saw the interest fade from his eyes.

I took time and thought it over weighing the good against the bad. Could I really give up doughy breads and my Mt. Dew?? Let me digress. . .my name is Teri, and I’m a Mt. Dew-oholic. I use to average a 12 pack – or more – a day. Ok, now back to the present . . . Could I really give up the food that I loved? Finding out I was type 2 diabetic only changed my habits for a short time. Did I really love all that food more than my kids? Heck no!! I have to do this -- I HAVE to learn how to “eat” again.

So on December 6, 2007, I started the process. I reported to the doctor’s office to submit my urine and give blood for all those tests. Throughout that day, I met with a dietician, a counselor – who gave more tests than in school - and, finally, a doctor. Come to find out all is good except one thing with my blood tests. I have to take antibiotics for 14 days to get rid of some bacteria in my tummy – no biggie. (No one told me they were horse pills!) Then the counselor thinks I’m ADD, but that has yet to be proven! Since I’m too big of a scaredy-cat, I am choosing the lap-band over the gastric bypass. The doctor did think my choice in the lap-band surgery was appropriate and he feels that I will loose 100% of my weight loss goal considering my age and mobility. It’s all up to me now. All 120 pounds of it!


I’m hoping that keeping this accountability log will help me with this process and maybe encourage others that they can do it too! I’ll try to post as often as I can.

2 comments:

TnT Momma said...

I am SOOOOO proud of you and your decision sweetie! And I'm so glaad you're here to share this with me and others! What is the official date for the procedure so I know when I say my prayers for you? :)

The Knedler Clan said...

Thank you! I don't have a date yet. Have to go through at least 3 - 6 months of nutrition, etc. with them and then it will be set. You'll be the first to know!